Duties for Helping Parents
Guidelines for Working with Children
- Speak directly to the child and make eye contact.
- Use short sentences.
- Use positive directions.
- Give directions one at a time.
- Make it clear whether the child has a choice or not.
- Give logical and accurate reasons for requests.
- Keep competition to a minimum but motivate the child to set goals for himself.
- Praise a job well done
Tips for Participation for Helping Parent
- Arrive 15 minutes early to perform daily classroom set-up, help greet the children, help hang up coats, and join in circle time.
- Join in during group times and enjoy the children, sing with them; dance with them; let a restless child sit on your lap.
- When it is time to go outside, please help with coats, hats, and mittens.
Checklist for Helping Parents
- Remember to arrive at 8:45am to prepare for the day
- Bring 1 plastic, screw top bottle of 100% CLEAR JUICE - take any unused portions home
Procedures Before Class and as Class Begins
- Use disinfectant wipes (located in cabinet above sink in classroom) to clean water fountain in hallway, sinks, bathroom seats,
and door knobs. Check soap containers in classroom as well as the bathroom.
- Write date in sign-in book. Greet children as they arrive, assist with coat removal. (Backpacks are hung on appropriate hooks.)
Remind parents to keep the noise level down in the hallway.
- Ask teacher if there's anything else you can do before children arrive.
Procedures During Class
- Clean up after each classroom activity, as directed by teacher.
- Escort and assist children to the bathroom. After use, remind children to wash hands.
- Use disinfectant wipeson tables before and after snack. Serve snack (as listed on the menu on the front of the snack cabinet)
and assist children washing their hands before snack.
- Be available to help the teacher in anyway needed.
Procedures for Child Pickup and Classroom Closing
- Allow only TWO parents at a time in classroom. Remind parents to sign-out. Monitor noise level in hallway.
- Equipment, Supplies and Inventory: Check the levels of supplies (disinfectant wipes, soap, etc.) and if low, put note in the Equipment,
Supplies and Inventory Note pad found on the housekeeping cabinet. Also if any school equipment is in need of repair, put note on same pad.
- Sink: Clean sink and surrounding area with disinfectant wipes. Wash brushes/containers. Refill paper towels and soap if needed.
- Tables/Chairs/Teacher Work Area: Wipe tables/chairs with disinfectant wipes to remove crumbs, glue, paint, etc. Put chairs on top of tables.
Close art supplies tightly and put away.
- Floor/Rug: Sweep/vacuum entire area under tables, and back in housekeeping area. Put chairs back. Damp mop floor using vinegar/water mixture in
- Toys/Library Corner: Books should be neatly arranged in bookcase. Toys should be put in proper area. Ensure puzzle pieces are with puzzles.
- Windows: Close and latch.
- Please check with teacher to see if anything else needs to be done before leaving.